Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Dust 'em Cars

Inspite of my frequent visits to the Quezon Memorial Circle, I haven't seen them or even noticed them. Maybe it's because I never expected to find these electric cars in such place, much less to ride them for P30 per hour.

But there they were. I stumbled on all four of them in some obscure corner of the park. I did not know how I should react to such "discovery" realizing that, indeed, there they were but they were all in a state of disrepair and gathering dust.

The park administration must have thought about them as models for environment-friendliness. And rightly so. But it seemed that they suffered from "maintenance fatigue" and have all been "retired" behind a net enclosure. So sad.

In fact, dumped behind the four electric vehicles were two electric bikes which have also seen their days. I wonder why all these environment-friendly vehicles were all left for dead?

The Taguig City government, if you noticed lately, has fielded a number of modern-looking electric tricycles in the Fort area. People in the Fort seem to have caught on them, especially now that there are a number of interesting places in the former army camp.

Even the Makati City police is using electric patrol cars which I often see at the Market!Market! area. Of course I don't recall having seen any electric vehicle on the road. Maybe it doesn't feel "macho" to drive one since it does not make much noise and probably does not provide the "feel" of power.

But I am really sad that the four electric vehicles at the QC Memorial Circle have met their untimely end. I will not mind if one of these is "donated" to me so I can resurrect it and show it off in EDSA.

I don't really care about not being "macho". It's all in the mind, stupid!

No comments:

Post a Comment