Sunday, February 8, 2009

Out of Ignorance

My son's slider phone was not working so i brought it to a repair shop in Avenida. A spare part simply called flex was defective so I had to have it replaced for P800.

Luckily the guy who handled the repair job had the same model so he did not have any trouble doing what had to be done. In just about half an hour, the repair job was done and I thought that he did a splendid job.

Unfortunately I could not test the phone right away because it had no load. I purchased a Sun Call and Text Unlimited card for P100. After loading the card according to instructions, I received a text message from the phone company - "Your current balance is 0.00. Please load immediately" - or something to that effect.

So how did it happen? I just loaded P100 on the phone but my balance turned out to be zero. I needed some explanation, at the very least.

I went to the Sun Shop in Robinson's and explained my predicament. The customer service lady spoke in a matter-of-fact tone: "Your balance is really zero. It means you cannot make calls or send messages to other networks. But you may make unlimited calls and send unlimited text messages to other Sun subscribers for five days. If you want to use your phone to contact other networks you need to load the regular card."

So there is a Sun card for Sun-to-Sun contacts only and another Sun card for other networks. This is of course not the case with Globe and Smart. Credit my experience to ignorance.

This is Technology 101 for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment