Saturday, February 21, 2009

Tubero

Oftentimes, I pass by D. Tuazon on my way to EDSA from Balite Drive. I'm always amused by the way the "Tubero" signs have proliferated in the area. I wonder why?

Of course, this is not the only place in Metro Manila which is "hounded" by plumbers, assuming that these "Tubero" signs were really posted by true plumbers. If I am not mistaken, professional plumbers are supposed to pass a PRC exam to qualify for a plumber's license.

This came about because in the old days TESDA did not exist and national competency standards for plumbers have not been officially promulgated. Nowadays the story is quite different.

TESDA has promulgated standards for plumbing with three levels. These standards were derived from the inputs of industry people and practitioners - the real plumbers. I am not sure how these standards compare with the PRC standards, assuming that it does have any.

It should be interesting to find out how many of these "tuberos" who have "advertised" their services in electric or telephone posts are really qualified, complete with either a PRC license or a TESDA national certificate.

Gone are the days when plumbing would just involve GI pipes, reducers, enlargers, nipples, brass faucets, chrome plated fixtures. These days vinyl pipes, reducers, gate vaves, check valves, etc. have become quite common and these have greatly made plumbng jobs a bit faster and a lot easier, perhaps.

Two years ago I bought a vinyl pipe cutter for a few hundred pesos. This allowed me to cut half-inch vinyl pipes in a jiffy, instead of using a hack saw. I have been able to assemble my water purifying facility at home with this useful gadget.

It is just too bad, I did not pursue my water refilling business.

No comments:

Post a Comment