Monday, February 2, 2009

Fast Tech

My son recently had his PC assembled at a computer shop in Gilmore. He had to have it assembled because he needed a super-powerful PC that he can use for his 3D animation software.

He said that the motherboard is quad core. A few years ago the standard was dual core. He needed a powerful video card for his animation "work". But I think it is more for his games.

I still recall that the very first PC that I bought in 1993 was a 386 with a CD reader on board and a 30 MB hard disc. Those were the days of DOS 5 and Wordstar, although the very first word processing software that I ever learned was called ChiWriter.

Sometime later, I had to upgrade to an 80 MB hard disc because I shifted to Windows 3 for my operating system. Then Windows 3.1 came. That's the time I started to learn Microsoft Word and Powerpoint. I stumbled upon Pagemaker 4 and got stuck on the software up to the last version - Pagemaker 7.1 - which I still use to this day. I have acquired the new software that replaced it - In Design - but I have not really shifted to it.

Vista is on my son's PC along with Microsoft Office 2007 and other multimedia software. But I think its 320 GB hard disc is barely occupied and its 4 GB memory can be considered industry standard.

I still see some people using 128 MB flash discs when 16 GB types are available in the market. I don't want to speculate what a PC will look like in 2010. Whatever and however PCs will look like I am sure that protoypes are already in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment