Sunday, February 22, 2009

Star Tollway

Some nights ago, I got a call from the office with the instruction that I should proceed to Batangas City the following day to attend a symposium on the maritime sector at the Lyceum of the Philippines University.

I have recently been re-designated as focal person for the maritime industry so this assignment fell on my lap.

I had to leave rather early to try to make it to the 9am program, realizing that I had to consider the morning traffic in EDSA and the traffic to Batangas City along the old highway.

Luckily, the early EDSA traffic was not so heavy so I managed to get to the South Expressway some half and hour ahead of my expected schedule. Construction work in the Expressway was still in progress, although this did not significantly affect the pace and flow of vehicular traffic.

I exited the Expressway at twenty before ten and prayed that the road leading to the Star Tollway would be a bit forgiving. I was not disappointed. I reached the Tollway in a breeze.

I was hoping that I could get to the Lipa Exit in fifteen minutes so I floored my accelerator and kept at an almost constant 100 kph which is the allowable speed limit. Then I got the surprise of my life.

While I used to turn right to the Batangas City Exit, the directional signs indicated that vehicles bound for Batangas CIty should stay on the innermost lane. I did and found out that the Tollway had been extended, up to what point, I was not sure.

I sent an SMS to Provincial Director Al who dutifully informed me that I was on the right track and that he would be waiting for me as soon as I got out of the Tollway. It ended in Batangas City thus cutting my travel time possibly by about half an hour.

PD Al and I made it to Lyceum at half past ten, only to realize that we were somewhat in the tail end of a half-day symposium. Unexpectedly, I was suddenly called to speak before an audience of about 200 people, so I gave them my usual maritime "piece" in about 15 minutes.

Perhaps, the next time I go to Batangas City the South Expressway and the Star Tollway will be one contiguous highway. Not a bad dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment