Sunday, February 15, 2009

Get Rich Quick

It's a good thing that I got mine in advance yesterday from an outlet in Sta. Lucia, a talipapa near our place. Otherwise, I would have to join the long line of people waiting for their turn to get a one way lotto ticket to riches.

The pot has gone up to the 200 million pesos mark and who wouldn't want that sort of cash on his or her hand? I wanted it on mine so I got my ticket.

A long time ago when the STL (small town lotto) was conceived, it was intended to "kill" the jueteng, the "last two" and every conceivable numbers game in the streets. This did not happen, I think, because the lotto, (as it is simply known now) just became an additional betting game when enough betting money is available.

At least, it is said that the lotto has spawned more than a hundred millionaires since it came into being. I am not sure how many of these are still millionaires to this very day.

I often tell my friends that I don't really want to get rich, I just want to have some money. If I become "rich" my frame of mind will probably change, but if I simply have some money, things will most likely be the same.

When my dad won the Sweepstakes many, many years ago, I think he did not feel rich. He simply realized that he had some money - and he put it to good use. This has changed our lives somehow - for the better.

I am still hoping that history will really repeat itself. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment