Friday, February 20, 2009

Daily Ritual

While being caught in the early morning rush (again) at EDSA I busied myself getting some pictures to put on record how reality bites. I got the attached photo as I was inching my way towards the vehicular underpass near Crossing.

The area is a spectacle by itself. The MRT line is just overhead, along with a pedestrian overpass that gets people across EDSA from the Star Mall to the Mega Mall and vice-versa. Of course there is also the vehicular fly-over on the Shaw Blvd. crossing built by Japanese contractors, presumably with Japanese money (loan or grant?)

On practically all sides of the road are the ubiquitous billboards, along with the directional sinages in deep green and white. I almost forgot the pink fences together with the pink pedestrian overpass and the MRT concrete posts laced by Chairman BF's cadena de amor. What a spectacle indeed!

A Japanese friend has other ideas, unfortunately, and the kindest word he has about EDSA is "UGLY". I cannot blame him, of course, because his reference point could be Tokyo, which is rather truly unfortunate.

But the wife's niece who earlier came for a short vacation after more than a decade in the States, made practically the same observation. I hope her reference point is not Beverly Hills. But it could be.

The yellow taxis of old are still around, but nowadays taxis are usually painted white. Whether white or yellow, most of them, thanks heaven, are now tidy looking, air conditioned and relatively new models.

Which is my other pre-occupation, by the way - I can identify the make and model of most cars on the road starting from yesteryear's Toyopet, Beetle, to today's Camry, Vios, Impreza, Escape, Tribute, Sentra, CRV, City and many others. It's a challenge for me to be able to identify a car by merely looking at the rear lights, even at night.

And thank God for the mobile phone - it's the only way to make my daily four-hour ritual on the road a bit more worthwhile - although a lot more risky.

No comments:

Post a Comment