Saturday, February 14, 2009

They Made It...Almost

Towards lunchtime he suddenly knocked at our gate, all smiles and excited. My dad just came from the Eternal Gardens to see a friend for the last time then he got the news.

"Manong Lando, nasa Bulletin ang picture ninyo ni Manang Carling", said one kababayan who also came for the last rites. My dad was a bit surprised, although he knew what it was all about.

He had not really seen the paper to validate the information given to him by our townmate. So after the burial he proceeded to our place to break the news.

My elder son went looking for a copy of the Bulletin but he came back empty-handed. The excitement was mounting so I went to Sta. Lucia, a nearby talipapa where a newstand had two copies left. I bought them both and proceeded to buy my lotto ticket - luck may just come two-folds.

My mom and dad did not make it to the Longest Married Couple tilt. A couple of 78 years, a 98 years young groom and a 96 years old bride were declared winner. My mom and dad were among the finalists so their picture was published in the Valentine's issue of the Bulletin.

Two registered 75 long years, one couple had had 73 years, two logged in 72 years and three, including my parents, were at the end of the list with 70 years.

Although they did not win any prize, their inclusion among the finalists and the publication of their latest photo was more than enough honor and recognition.

Sounds like sour grapes ba?

No comments:

Post a Comment