Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sentiments? Actions? Reflections?

John Quincy Adams said that “a man's diary is a record in youth of his sentiments, in middle age of his actions, in old age of his reflections”.

He was right on the dot.

I began writing during my high school years and my poems really reflected the sentiments of those yesteryears. I have put these poems together in one cover and I called them “Adolescent Embers”.

They are really the longings of my youth, my daydreams, night dreams and even the pains of a lonely broken heart.

While I continue to write, sentiments can sometimes be expressed but my pieces are often about the things that I do, the things that fascinate me and things that I find pleasure in doing. It’s generally about my actions.

Following the statesman’s logic, I must be in my middle age. I do write about some reflections but not in the sense that I am writing my memoirs. It’s probably too early for that.

So as my Fun Books go – I continue to write about food and cooking, work and bureaucracy, technology and gadgets, life and living and society and politics.

Writing CACOPHONY (see websites - http://makingsense.multiply.com or http://360.yahoo.com/caparagua) has been my main driver for the past three years. I have gained so much from the experience of writing all those weekly pieces.

I have added this journal to get me to write at least one piece a day, or probably 365 pieces in a year. The book will be called “The First Day of My Life”.

2 comments:

  1. What if you are no longer young in age but stll young at heart?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, what Adams said was probably not cut and dried. At whatever age we express our sentiments, talk or write about our actions and even our own reflections.

    ReplyDelete