Thursday, February 5, 2009

Longest Married Couple

For Valentine's Day, Manila Bulletin and SM are looking for the Longest Married Couple.

I am intending to join the search by submitting my dad and mom's "credentials". Unfortunately, I have some concerns regarding the requirements. My mom and dad got married on July 16, 1938 which means that by July this year, they will have registered 71 years of blissful togetherness as husband and wife.

Here lies the problem. Aparrently, cameras and photos were as rare as diamonds in Aparri during this age - pre-war, so no wedding photo of any kind is available. I was able to get some photos of my mom and dad but these were taken after Liberation.

My other concern is the marriage license. I was able to retrieve the original documents (marriage contract) but insects (probably cockroaches or moths) have helped themselves to the documents.

Fortunately all the vital information, names, dates, places, are still intact and legible. I have also their latest picture taken last Christmas.

By my reckoning, my dad is now 88 so he got hitched when he was 18. On the other hand, my mom said "I do" when she was 16, and she is now 86. Both were minors but documents that I have indicate that their parents willingly (I have not confirmed this)gave their consent to the (very)early wedding.

My parents have a long list of grandchildren and a still growing list of great grandchildren. At this time, I am the only exception (without grandkids) since my two boys are still in school and may not get hitched so soon.

My mom and dad may not "qualify" because of the technicality about the missing wedding photo but in my guts I believe that they may be the Longest Married Couple in the world. God bless them both!

No comments:

Post a Comment