Sunday, March 1, 2009

Lampara

Another manifestation of Filipino ingenuity is evident in a small village that we visited sometime ago in Puerto Galera. This is in the form of "lampara" made out of discarded tin cans and mayo jars.

We found this is a sari-sari store at the foot of a hanging bridge that we crossed as part of a "tour" arranged for our group. Later, I told some friends about this hanging bridge and I was told that we were lucky that we did not have any "encounter" with people with No Permanent Address who are said to frequent the place.

I suppose they also visit the sari-sari store to buy the "lampara" for their own use, wherever their address may be.

When the wife and I visited Coron a few weeks ago, we stayed in an out-of-town resort with no regular supply of electricity. I noticed that the place also had its own version of "lampara" made out of discarded wine bottles.

The problem with these "lamparas" is that they are still dependent on kerosene or "gaas", although they can probably also work with cooking oil. I understand that a lamp can also be made out of table salt and cooking oil with a matchstick serving as wick. I haven't tried this but it probably works.

Maybe I should also try getting oil from dried malunggay seeds as many do in Africa. I understand that malunggay seeds can be processed to produce bio-diesel. This is one of the many benefits that can be derived from the lowly malunggay.

Lampara from discarded materials fed by oil from dried malunggay seeds - this should be a step towards recycling and away from the use of fossil fuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment