Thursday, March 19, 2009

Skid Marks

It’s the airport runway in Busuanga, Palawan with all the skid marks of past landings. I took this photo just after we made it to solid ground and as the plane was taxiing to the terminal.

We usually see such skid marks in the roads or highways where a vehicle makes a sudden stop, for whatever reason. These skid marks take a big toll on the rubber wheels of planes and I wonder how long each tire can last.

More than three years ago my car had brand new tires and they still look good. In fact I haven’t even used the spare tire which I hope is still serviceable. Also, I haven’t been to a vulcanizing shop for the same length of time.

It means that I haven’t made any skid marks on any road. I think pilots can’t help it, not only because of the sheer weight of the plane, its landing speed and the relative length of the runway.

If I remember right the Puerto Princesa runway is about 3,000 meters or 3 kilometers which is fit for Airbus or 747 landings. But I won’t be surprised if that runway also sports the same old skid marks.

No comments:

Post a Comment