Monday, March 23, 2009

"Normal"

I parked at the SM Manila parking building and took a leisurely stroll to the MARINA office located some two big street blocks away to attend a meeting. I passed by the Philippine Normal University (PNU) and snapped this photo which is worth a thousand words.

For one, more than a century old na pala ang university, matanda pa sa University of the Philippines. The “eternal” flame of education, as expected, is enshrined in its gates, signifying, perhaps, the necessity of lifelong learning.

I am told that in the old days the university used to be called the Philippine Normal School (PNS), until someone suggested and everyone else probably agreed that it should be called Philippine Normal College (PNC). That’s the time when my sister (panganay among my siblings) went to the institution with the intention of becoming a Ma’am.

Unfortunately, she did not make it to any classroom for reasons that I no longer remember.

Then some other bright guys thought that it’s time to call it Philippine Normal University. So the name used consistently is Philippine Normal.

Even in my younger years, I have been puzzled by the use of “normal” in its nomenclature. Ordinarily, I would have thought that there is such a thing as “abnormal” college, but I guess that’s not the intended meaning of the word “normal”.

I will just leave it at that. If someone comes up with some answers, I will learn something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment