Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Card-Bearing

I am now a bona fide card-bearing senior citizen. I turned sixty last March, but I could not apply for a card immediately as time did not allow me to. But, as always, I had to find some time for this.

First I went to the Office of Senior Citizen Affairs (OSCA) in our barangay hall in San Bartolome and found out that I was in the wrong place. The old ladies directed me to the third floor of the barangay hall where I could apply for a barangay clearance.

I proceeded to the third floor, only to find out that I had to get a certification from our homeowners’ association to qualify for a barangay clearance. A young lady checked a computer data base of registered voters in the locality and my name was included. I presented my office ID which clearly indicates my residence address.

The barangay secretary was apparently satisfied that I am a bona fide resident of the barangay, but she double-checked by calling the number of our homeowners’ association. Then she gave the go-signal for the preparation of my barangay clearance.

I had to bring the clearance to the OSCA office near the Quezon City Hall. I found the place which did not have any signage at all after making inquiries with at least four security guards. When I finally found it, the atmosphere was quite lively and many senior citizens went about their tasks cheerfully.

A lady who goes by the name Carmen helped me with my application form, my requirements and my pictures. In just a few minutes, my name was called and I was ready to receive my senior citizen credentials. Of course, I was asked if I wanted some lamination for my card, for which I had to shell out P30. I did and presto I got my laminated card, my free movies pass and a booklet for my drugstore discounts.

I noted, however, that all the entries on my card and pass were all done on a manual typewriter. This simply means that no electronic inputs were made and therefore no electronic data base of whatever nature was produced. This also means that I will be part of a physical data base, consisting of the files of accomplished application forms that will be kept in a filing cabinet, for how long, I don’t really know.

Nevertheless, I guess there should be no need for any verification procedures once I present my card to any establishment. Of course, I have heard stories of senior citizen cards being “manufactured” or Recto-made, perhaps to take advantage of the benefits attached to being a card-bearer. This should not be news, I suppose, judging from our predilection for such things.

When I present my card for any useful purpose, I hope no one doubts its authenticity, or worse, no one accuses me of “misrepresentation”. Some of my friends say that I don’t look like a senior citizen, with my dyed hair and all. Some categorically say that I look fifty nine years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment