Thursday, January 22, 2009

Wise Decision

Last night I had dinner with a former colleague in government service. It's been a full decade since we last met and he treated me to a sumptuous dinner to "celebrate" his decision to leave the service early in the game.

He used to work as a contractual employee and he realized that he will not get anywhere unless he gets a regular item. He didn't.

He made up his mind, left the service and tried it out in the market.

He seems to be making good, considering that he even picked up our meal tab. He is now managing a training center for seafarers and have made friends with a number of shipowners hiring Filipino crew.

Which explains why I suddenly cropped up in his mind. I have been involved in matters concerning the maritime sector for more than a decade now. So, for me, it was not a free dinner, after all.

For him, leaving the service early looked like a wise decision.

Why didn't I do the same? Well, as they say, no use crying over spilt milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment